Keeping kids busy this summer is a challenge!Here are 15 free activities for kids this summer.
15 Free Activities for Kids this Summer
1. Create a scavenger hunt. Write up clues and have your kids look for them one by one in the backyard, or in the neighbourhood.
2. If you’re not afraid of a little mess, create a treasure hunt for the kids in the backyard. Hide some ‘treasure’ in the garden, grass or even bury them in the soil. Kids will have fun digging them up – and cleaning up afterwards. You could also do this at the beach.
3. Have a sand castle contest at the local beach. The most creative sand art wins.
4. Create a fun obstacle course in the backyard.
5. Get the kids to make play dough (mix 2 cups of plain flour, 4 tablespoons of cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 cup of salt, 2 cups of boiling water) or goop (corn starch, water and food coloring).
7. Go through old magazines, newspapers or wrapping paper and let the kids create a collage or decorate a clay pot.
8. Volunteer in the local community. Teach the kids to give back and help others.
9. Get the kids to wash your car. Kids will have fun playing with the water, washing the car and they finish a chore!
10. Find some old socks and have the kids create sock puppets. Find craft items to make eyes, noses and mouths and other fun ‘accessories’. Have them create a stage using cardboard boxes and decorate. When they’re all done, have them put on a puppet show.
11. Have a sidewalk chalk contest.
12. Gather some dried pasta, beads, string and let the kids create some fun jewellery.
13. Buy a bag of popsicle sticks from the dollar store and get the kids to glue together a birdhouse. Once dry, they can paint and decorate them.
14. Pitch a tent your living room or backyard, or build a fort as a hideout.
15. Have a pamper/spa day. Paint each other’s nails, braid each other’s hair, buy some temporary tattoos and even dress up and take pictures.
Need more ideas? Here are 50 fun things for kids to do outside!