My husband’s favourite dessert is Tiramisu, and it’s one that is often requested no matter what season. Traditional tiramisu is made with ladyfinger cookies dipped in coffee and layered with a mascarpone cheese mix and whipped cream.
This Lemon Tiramisu recipe is a boozy, tart version made with fresh lemon curd and Limoncello. I’ve adapted it from Valerie Bertinelli’s recipe and made some adjustments. Lemon Tiramisu is a perfect dessert for spring and summer with its citrus, tart twist! Here’s my recipe for Lemon Tiramisu with Fresh Lemon Curd and Limoncello.
Lemon Tiramisu with Fresh Lemon Curd and Limoncello
First, you’ll need to prepare the lemon curd. You can buy a jar but this recipe is super easy.
¾ cups fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¾ cups sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- In a small sauce pan, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, eggs, and butter. Using a whisk, mix together to melt.
- Cook over medium-low heat until thick enough to hold marks from whisk, and first bubbles appear, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Lemon Tiramisu Ingredients
2 cups Mascarpone cheese
1.5 cups lemon curd
½ cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
¾ cups Limoncello
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, plus more for sprinkling on top
1-2 packages of lady fingers – use Forno Bonomi Savoiardi Ladyfingers or Gioia Savoiardi Lady Fingers as these tend to stay together when dipping
- Once the lemon curd has cooled, add it along with the mascarpone, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beeat with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until it holds medium-stiff peaks.
- Mix a third of the cream into the mascarpone mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream.
- Stir together the Limoncello, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a shallow bowl. Working one lady finger at a time, dip into the liquid, turning to coat both sides. Dip longer for more intense flavour; quickly for less, and more cake-like tiramisu. Arrange in an even layer in an 8-inch glass baking dish.
- Spread half of the cream mixture over the ladyfingers and smooth evenly.
- Repeat with the remaining ladyfingers and the rest of the cream.
- Sprinkle some lemon zest over the top, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least six hours -preferably overnight to allow all ingredients to soak together.
For the Lemon Curd
For the Tiramisu