by Amanda Goetz
I am a huge fan of soup. My family? Not so much (weirdos). I make a lot of soups and freeze them in single serving containers that I can pull out when I want some for lunch or with my dinner. The only thing I don’t do this with is cream soups… because they don’t usually last long enough to bother freezing!
There’s something about a cream soup that makes you feel warm and fuzzy on a cold day. They seem to wrap you in a blanket of comfort. One of my favourite cream soups is Creamy Potato Leek with Bacon. It’s super simple to make, it’s inexpensive, it’s hearty and, come on, bacon? Who doesn’t love crisp crumbly bacon?
Make a batch of this soup for your family, or for yourself if your family is all crazy like mine, and enjoy a big bowl of yummy comfort.
Creamy Potato Leek with Bacon Soup
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed (white or yukon gold work best)
4 cups chicken broth
1 pound bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces (I like to use peppered bacon)
3 leeks, washed well, and sliced
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring the cubed potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, fry the bacon to a nice crispy brown. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 3 tablespoons of grease and set aside.
3. Sautée the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. When the potatoes are cooked, stir in the fried leeks, heavy cream and 1/2 the bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir well to mix and heat through on low. Serve immediately with a bit of the reserved crumbled bacon on top and a little sprinkle of shredded Parmesan.
Amanda Goetz is a WAHM to 3 kids under the age of 5. Her love of cooking was fostered when she was a preschooler helping her grandma in the kitchen. After a year long stint as a sous chef, she left the industry to continue cooking as a hobby before the stress and politics of a professional kitchen killed her love of cooking. Now she creates delicious dinners and delectable desserts for her family and friends and blogs about it at The Best Mom on the Block.