I love the combination of fresh blueberries and lemon in cakes, muffins and loaves. The sweetness and tangy flavours of blueberry and lemon together are fresh and summery. Here’s a simple gluten-free blueberry lemon cake with crumble topping recipe that’s sure to fill that craving. Serve it to guests as a summer dessert, or to have with your afternoon coffee.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Cake With Crumble Topping
1 ½ cups gluten-free flour (I use a mix of almond, sorghum, brown rice and tapioca)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon xantham gum
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 ½ cups blueberries
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss together the blueberries and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, xantham gum and sugar together. Add the melted butter, then eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the blueberry and lemon mixture over the batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, sugar and butter to make the crumble. Mix with your hands until crumble forms, and then sprinkle over the blueberries.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden on top, or until a cake tester comes out clean.