It’s National Chili Day! Happy Chili Day!
To celebrate this momentous occasion, I’m sharing the best Chili recipe people ask me to make for them throughout the winter months. It’s sure to fill your belly with its hearty, lightly spicy warmth.
The Best Chili Recipe People Ask Me to Make
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp onion and garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 2 cups tomato puree/ strained crushed tomatoes
- 1 -2 cans of pinto and/or red kidney beans, depending on how hearty you want your soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef stock
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- coriander leaves for topping
- In a large pot, brown beef over medium heat, breaking up with the back of a spoon until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to a minimum. Add chopped onions, garlic, pepper, carrots, celery, and spices. Stir and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for at least a half-hour.
- Add the beans; cover and simmer for another half hour or more.
- Taste and add more chili powder if necessary.
- Top with coriander leaves, and serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.