Happy Canada Day! On Canada Day, we proudly display the Canada flag in front of our homes, and wear red and white. A Canada Day T-Shirt is a must; but if you don’t have one? Make your own. This is a simple craft for kids just for Canada Day – a DIY Canada Day T-shirt.
But the added bonus of this kids’ Canada Day craft is, it’s personalized, and can be kept for years to come as memorabilia.
Looking for inspiration on Pinterest, I discovered the idea here on WorkManFamily. The author included step-by-step photos so take a look there if you need more help.
DIY Canada Day T-Shirt
All you need is a plain white t-shirt (you can buy at Michaels or in the underwear or craft section of Walmart or Target for under $10), a piece of cardboard for each t-shirt, red fabric paint, and a little help from mom or dad.
- Insert the cardboard inside each t-shirt so that when you paint on the front side, the paint doesn’t bleed through.
- Paint a red rectangle (or at least trace them for the kids) on one side of the t-shirt.
- Then paint your child’s hand or have them dip their hand in some red paint.
- Carefully, with fingers spread apart, press hand in the middle of the t-shirt, aligned with the rectangle.
- Then paint a rectangle on the other side.
The cute little handprint will act as the maple leaf for the Canadian flag.
Here is how ours turned out when we made them:
My boys will be wearing these again on Canada Day this year.
Here are some more Canada Day ideas.