Halloween is a fun time, especially for kids who are going out trick-or-treating.
But safety should always come first so make sure to read these safety tips before your kids head out to score candy:
1. Kids should wear properly fitted costumes that are bright and non-flammable.
2. Use reflective tape on their costume or back so they can be seen in the dark.
3. Use face make-up instead of a mask. Make sure to test the make-up first to avoid skin irritation. If your child is wearing a mask, enlarge the eye openings. When walking, make sure your kids push the mask up on their heads so they can see properly.
4. Only allow kids to visit the front door of well-lit homes.
5. Remind your kids to look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible.
6. Kids should always go with an adult or a group of friends.
7. Check all Halloween candy before your child eats them. Don’t allow homemade treats made by strangers to be consumed.
8. Plan a route close to home for your kids and a time to be home.
For kids going alone:
Don’t stop at dark houses.
Don’t go inside a home.
Do carry a flashlight.
Don’t run from house to house – walk.
Do walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
Do look both ways before crossing the street.